Display ads are being explained as the image/ video ads shown to audience when they browse different websites, apps, social media, and more recently, connected TV devices. Broadly speaking display ads are digital ad format outside of paid search and audio-only ads.
Businesses use different kinds of display ads across the entire buyer’s journey aiming to promote brand awareness, specific products, promotional sales, apps, content, and much more. These ads are static, animated, or can be video-based as well. Display ads are mostly linked to top-of-funnel marketing, where businesses focusses on making a particular brand or product more visible.
Real Insight of Display Ads: when they can be used
The traditional funnel ways is becoming more conceptual and marketers look for more innovative ways to advertise their brands. These display ads are useful in all the stages of marketing funnel.
- Awareness: Display components consist of programmatic, social media, Native, OTT (video streaming), and YouTube. Display ads are mostly purchased at a low CPM and they can help make people aware of your brand, product, or service.
- Consideration: Display ads help target people by sharing some useful content with them, either in a prospecting or retargeting manner.
- Display Ads Are more Appealing: Another benefit of display ads is the fact that it is more appealing and designed to make the product look more beautiful. Regular PPC ads are simply text ads, but display ads are different and can effectively convey your message. With digital display advertising, the marketers can use graphics, video, audio, etc. to attract user’s attention.
Display advertising is an awesome method to stay in their orbit so when the time is right, you can use display ads to get noticed. At each and every funnel stage, display advertising plays an important role.
Different kinds of Display Ads
Banner Ads: Banner Ads are the oldest and traditional kind of advertising. These kinds of ads are mostly shown on the top of websites in a “banner” format.
Interstitial Ads: These ads appear as web pages that are served to users before they are directed to the original page they requested. In the example below, you can see how this appears before accessing a web page or app on a mobile device:pasted image 0 3
Rich Media: These kinds of display ads include interactive elements, like video, audio and clickable elements.
Video Ads: With an increasing popularity of video ads and YouTube advertising platform, these kinds of ads are quite popular among the marketers. Some of the social media networks where these ads are quite popular include Instagram, Facebook, etc. Video ads help marketers reach to more audience and connect with them on a personal level, and are well worth investing in.
Some other kinds of Google Ads that help get better visibility:
- Google Search Ads
- AdWords Ads
- PPC Ads
- Bing Ads
- Facebook Ads
- Twitter Ads
- Tumblr Ads
- Banner Ads
- Google Display Ads
- Retargeting Ads
- Reddit Ads
- Mobile Ads
- In-Game Ads
- AdMob Ads
- Email Ads
- Gmail Ads
- Video Ads
- YouTube Ads
- Pinterest Ads
- Instagram Ads
How display ads works on Google
The Google Display Network is specially designed to help marketers get the right audience. The targeting options strategically show your message to potential customers at the right place and at the right time. Some of the ways how display ads work on Google include:
- Get new customers or engage with the existing customers using audiences. Similar audiences and in-market audiences help target the right kind of people who are interested in your products and might make the deal soon.
- Marketers can use data, like remarketing lists, to make more people engaged.
- Automated targeting is also useful to more conversions by choosing the high-performing audiences based on your existing audiences and landing page.
- Using automatically optimising over time, Google Ads can easily understand which audiences can be targeted.
Why marketers must use display advertising?
- Display advertising helps improve brand awareness
- Display advertising helps reach to more audiences across different devices and platforms
- Display advertising helps provide personalise approach with contextual and demographic targeting
- Display advertising helps improve ROI with retargeting
- Display advertising helps improve your online marketing efforts
- Marketers can reach to specific demographics such as gender and age using display ads.
When Display ads show
Though Search Network can help marketers reach more people looking for similar offerings, the Display Network helps get more attention. Marketers can get wider visibility through Display Ads by creating attractive ads that look more eye-catchy.
Many marketers believe that display ads are dead, they still can prove to be an effective way to achieve more goals. Rather when Display ads are combined with other marketing initiatives, it helps boost the performance of those activities.
Like all paid marketing efforts, it’s about getting the targeting right. Without the right traffic and audience, even the most compelling ad creative and landing pages will fall flat.